#MotivationalMonday C2C Mini-Blog: Written By Katherine M.
“Reality is the leading cause of stress for those in touch with it.” Jane Wagner, writer for Lily Tomlin
Don’t you just love that quote?
Especially with the reality of the New Year, right around the corner… Reality, it’s something to look forward to, right? Huh?
OK – I’ll lay off the dark humor…even though in a kind of cool twisted way, I know it can make you laugh, in spite of your worries or the dread you may be feeling when faced with a Whole.New.Year.Ahead.
Why would I want to make you laugh?
Because laughter eases anxiety and can help you deal with reality without getting bogged down in it. It actually changes your bio-chemistry!
Laughter is a natural stress, hormone, and mood balancer. Here are just 3 of the benefits – there are many more:
- It lowers levels of stress hormones – we all need that!
- It increases endorphins, our happy brain chemical, without having to run for an hour.
- It increases immune function, which is a real boon during the dark days of the flu season.
And what if things are so bad you don’t feel like laughing?
Fake it till you make it – it still works, even fake smiling will give you benefits. And once you get going it’s infectious 🙂 If I am alone, I like to read iphone bloopers for a good belly laugh and some tears to top it off.
How to get started:
- If you haven’t cracked a smile in awhile you may have to loosen up your facial muscles with a simple smile first. Try it in the mirror first to make sure your face doesn’t break.
- Check out Laughter Yoga International for a gentle practice that is also easy on the joints.
- Is commuting a daily trek into sadness and melancholy? Reset your expectations here, here, and here.
So take a little break to breathe and have a laugh at these crazy times we live in -especially with the people who have the same sense of humor as you – dark or light…
Warm wishes for a nourishing New Year!